The research direction of the Institute is investigation into the mechanisms of development, diagnosis and treatment of critical, terminal, postresuscitation states:
- Genetics of critical states.
- Development of a new class of nano-based medical perfluorocarbons.
- Nanotechnology in the study of cell membranes in critical states.
- DNA damages in critical states.
- Immunology of critical states.
- General mechanisms, individual, typological and sexual features of postresuscitation morpho-functional changes of central nervous system: it role in the pathogenesis of posthypoxic encephalopathy.
- Pathogenesis, diagnosis and treatment of acute respiratory failure.
- Pathogenesis, diagnosis and treatment of critical states in miners.
- Safety of anesthetic management in the perioperative period.
- Development, testing and adoption of new technologies in reanimatology.
- The clinical importance of detecting markers of myocardial damage in critical states.
- New technologies of detoxication in critical states.
- Pathogenesis of infectious complications in critical states: genetic, immunological, biochemical aspects.
- Malfunction of metabolism and its correction in critical states.
Main research achievements of the Institute
The following results were obtained within the 75 years history of the Institute:
- The new direction in medicine was founded – reanimatology.
- Fundamental data on dying and resuscitation were obtained. Stages of death – clinical and biological –were determined, which allowed doctors to restore essential vital functions. In 1952, the Ministry of Health approved the Instruction “On the implementation in clinical practice of the methods of life restoration in agony or clinical death”.
- Metabolic, structural and functional abnormalities, that occur in the organism in critical states were studied.
- Life support systems and modern high-tech resuscitation methods for correction of disorders occurring in critical and terminal states were developed an implemented (mechanical ventilation, cardiopulmonary bypass, artificial kidney, artificial liver and hyper- and hypothermia and etc.).
- The concept of uniform governmental system of training population of first aid and resuscitation skills was developed and implemented.
- The protocol of cardiopulmonary resuscitation was developed and implemented.
- An effective and safe bipolar defibrillator was developed and implemented at the Institute.
- The rational use of blood replacement and use of blood substitutes with gas-transporting function (perftoran) was developed and implemented.
- Effective methods of intensive care to victims of mine trauma were developed and implemented.